Table of Contents
- What is RefWorks?
- New RefWorks
- Link to New RefWorks
- Resources for Getting Started with RefWorks
- Direct Export from Databases into RefWorks
- Migrating from "Legacy" to "New" RefWorks
- Contact Information for more help
What is RefWorks?
RefWorks is a Web-based reference and bibliographic management software tool that simplifies the generation of citations and bibliographies. It saves you time by:
- saving all your references in one place;
- importing references directly from a database or catalog into your RefWorks account;
- generating bibliographies and in-text citations in various citation styles like APA;
- helping decrease the number of bibliography errors;
- allowing you to sort and file references into folders; and
- being accessible from any computer connected to the Internet.
Recently, ProQuest has introduced a new version of RefWorks. New RefWorks has an improved user experience, full-text management and collaboration features. Your library has begun teaching and supporting this new version. Current users will be able to continue to use the legacy Refworks until at least January 2018.
Link to New RefWorks
Please Note: In order for you to be recognized as affiliated with MCCN or MCHS, you must register for an account using either your @mccn.edu or your @mchs.com email address.
Resources for getting started with RefWorks
- YouTube Videos to Learn New RefWorks in 20 minutes: Learn New RefWorks in 20 Minutes
- Step by Step directions (PDF file): Basic RefWorks for MCHS and MCCN Students
Direct Export from Databases into RefWorks
RefWorks allows you to import references directly from many (but not all) databases, catalogs and other online resources. The power of RefWorks is in its ability to directly export your database search results from an online search into RefWorks. This process works in a similar way in many online databases. The basic steps are:
Specific Steps for Direct Export
The table below lists some popular resources and provides a detailed step-by-step set of directions for getting the article references into RefWorks. Click on the PDF icon to download the steps to use in each resource.
Migrating from "Legacy" to "New" RefWorks
The following RefWorks tutorial will show you how to migrate references between the two existing versions of RefWorks: Migrating your References from Legacy to New RefWorks
Please Note: This is a ONE WAY process. Although you can update the references from Legacy to New RefWorks multiple times as needed, YOU CANNOT update Legacy RefWorks with any new references you add to New RefWorks.