Building & Strengthening Your Evidence Based Practice Literature Searches
Presented by Ken Wright, Health Sciences Librarian
Mount Carmel Health Sciences Library
This material is designed as a self-learning guide to build and reinforce your knowledge about the Evidence-Based Practice process. Included is an introduction to the basics of EBP, the fundamental steps in constructing a well-built clinical question, and effective literature searches using four high quality databases located on the Mount Carmel Health Sciences Library's Nursing Resources page.
- Defining Evidence-Based Practice and determining the scope of EBP literature and levels of evidence
- Identifying Evidence-Based Resources located on the Mount Carmel Health Sciences Library(MCHSL) Nursing Resources page
- Building a PICOT to create a searchable and answerable EBP question
- Identifying and searching for the most appropriate study designs and publication types in the literature, i.e., systematic reviews, meta-analyses, and randomized controlled trials.
- Applying database search filters to locate and access EBP literature using four effective databases: CINAHL Plus with Full-Text, ClinicalKey for Nursing, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, and PubMed's Clinical Queries search filter
- Accessing articles in full-text PDF format using different request options
- Locating and accessing an additional EBP resource support guide on the Nursing Resources page